August 1st to August 7th is a week to celebrate and promote breastfeeding. This year’s theme for World Breastfeeding Week is “Step Up for Breastfeeding: Educate and Support.” This is to promote awareness and showcase the true value of breastfeeding and all of its wonderful benefits.
Why is Breastfeeding Important?
1. Breastfeeding not only is beneficial to the baby; it is also beneficial to the mother. When it comes the baby, it can aid in protection from infections and it has been studied and found to have lowered the risks of health issues later in life such as diabetes, asthma as well obesity.
2. Breastfeeding aids in reducing the risk of postpartum hemorrhage due to it releasing hormones that help contract the uterus in the period following delivery. Breastfeeding also helps in developing a strong bond between the mother and baby.
3. “A newborn’s best source of nutrition is breast milk. Breast milk contains a variety of components that help protect babies from infection and disease. Furthermore, the protein in breast milk is easier for the baby to digest than protein in formula or cow’s milk. Furthermore, calcium and iron found in breast milk are more easily absorbed. Therefore, World Breastfeeding Week 2022 campaign focuses on educating and supporting women to breastfeed their babies.”
Benefits of Breastfeeding
1. Did you know that breastmilk changes for the baby as the baby grows and if the baby gets sick? How incredible!
2. The baby receives antibodies from the mother through the breastmilk
3. Mothers can breastfeed anywhere and anytime. States do have laws on breastfeeding and you should check out the law for the state that you reside in.
4. Studies have shown that breastfeeding moms are at a lower risk of developing ovarian and breast cancer as well as type 2 diabetes.
World Breastfeeding Week: History
“The World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) was founded in 1991 to carry out the Innocent Declaration of 1990, which called for the protection, support, and promotion of breastfeeding. WABA envisions a global unifying breastfeeding promotion strategy as part of this action plan. A day was proposed for inclusion in an international calendar event. The idea of celebrating it on a single day was later expanded to a week.
It became known as World Breastfeeding Week (WBW), which is observed from August 1-7 to commemorate the Innocent Declaration. 1992 marked the beginning of World Breastfeeding Week. It is now observed in more than a hundred countries. During the breastfeeding week in August, there are hundreds of activities held all around the world to inform and encourage breastfeeding moms.”
Unknown. (2022, July 18). World Breastfeeding Week 2022: Importance and benefits. World Breastfeeding Week 2022: Importance, Benefits, and History. Retrieved July 31, 2022, from https://www.apollocradle.com/world-breastfeeding-week-2022/